Thursday 22 October 2009

Feeling the need to simplify . . .

Earlier this year we had to pack up my father-in-law's house as he was moving into a nursing home and it really hit me that we spend so much time gathering "stuff", but what does it all really mean? How much value does it really add to our lives? A couple of months after that we had to pack up our own "stuff" when we moved house. Again I was hit by the amount of time and effort that goes into getting all the stuff, but how little attachment I really had to so much of it. After 2 garage sales, boxes of donations to charity and a skip full of rubbish, I'm feeling a little bit de-cluttered, but not quite enough. So . . . I'm on a mission to simplify my life. I've come across some good stuff on the web that has really prompted me to observe my home (and life) and take stock, so I wanted to share:

  • mnmlist: the essentials - a great little site to get you thinking (and hopefully acting), with links to other great thought provoking sites.



  • There's another site, that I just can't find at the moment, but basically the guy set himself a target to get rid of 10 things per week - to charity, to someone else, or to the bin if it was broken and un-fixable. I've managed to get to 10 things fairly easily the last couple of weeks. So far, so good!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...