Sunday 16 January 2011

Alison's Puzzle

I started this quilt back in 2008 on a quilt retreat with a group of friends. At a retreat 6 months earlier, we were talking about things we'd like to do . . . and my friend Alison talked about how she wanted to try things that were a bit 'outside the square', or outside of her comfort zone. One of those things was learning needle turn applique. While we were there for the weekend, our hostess/tutor, Carol, designed the centre panel and made it up for us to see if we would like to work on it as project on our next retreat.

And we did.

And it was named "Alison's Puzzle".



The centre panel hung for a long time on the design wall (well, actually it was pinned on the top of another quilt that I could see every time I sat down to sew) until I made up my mind what I wanted to do with it.

Would it be an enormous cushion?

Or a small wall hanging?

A bed quilt?

I decided not to make a full size quilt, but rather I added pin wheels and a plain border to make a wall quilt, which is 50 inches square. I've used a striped binding, the same fabric as the inner border.

I'm glad to see this one finished and hanging on the wall. And I'm also glad to say that Alison finished hers into a single bed size quilt. It's in wonderful blues and browns. And it looks fantastic.

So thanks Alison for being willing to challenge yourself, and taking us along on the journey with you!


Pattern: Alison's Puzzle
Designer: Carol Pasfield
Quilted by: Quilts With Attitude


3 comments:

Sylvia said...

Alison't puzzle looks fantastic. I love the borders and the use of the stripy fabric.

Nat Palaskas said...

Sue this is so cute. I think the pinwheels completed it quilt very nicely. I see you've joined the Civil War quilt block of the week too. I did too and just about to choose fabric for this week block 7 sisters.
Hugs
Nat

dragonfly gypsy said...

Well done Sue to not only come out of your comfort zone but to have a finish so early in the year. Regards Sharron

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...