Saturday 22 December 2012

Civil War Sampler - My Block In Print

I was thrilled to receive a copy of Barbara Brackman's 'Civil War Sampler' in the post this week . . .


This was a block of the week project that I worked on during 2011, hosted by Barbara to commemorate the sesquicentennial (150th anniversary) of the American Civil War. Along with thousands of others from all across the globe, each week I waited to see what the new pattern would be, and the story from the Civil War that accompanied it. Barbara's since gone on to publish this book, which includes all the stories and blocks used in the quilt. In the book, Barbara shows the 'original' blocks, stitched by Becky Brown, along with alternative blocks made by stitchers all around the world participating in the block of the week.

And one of my blocks was chosen, representing the alternative 'New England Block'. So there it is, in print for posterity!

Thanks so much to Barbara for running this project . . . and she's got a new one planned - 2013 - Dixie Diary. This project will be a block per month for 12 months. Each monthly block will include a story taken from "one of the great Civil War documents - Sarah Morgan's Confederate Girl's Diary", first published almost 100 years ago in 1913.

It's been a while since I've had a needle and thread in my hand. This may be just the thing to get my sewing back on track!


Pattern: Civil War Sampler
Designer: Barbara Brackman
Publication: http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Pip said...

Can't wait till my book arrives, probably after Christmas now. Lucky you, getting one of your blocks in the book. I saw the BOM project and I'm still thinking about it, I have so many projects started, but this is only one block a month, it could be done easy peasy.

Sylvia said...

How exciting Sue! Hope you are well and have a wonderful Christmas.

Terry said...

Goodonya!!!! so nice to see. Bet your happy I would be. Seriously Well Done

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...